Saturday, March 29, 2008

Songwriting questions...

Just my two cents:How do you begin writing your songs? It depends, usually with a guitar 'riff' but sometimes I can be inspired to write lyrics and occasionaly I have a song title that comes up and sets the mood and inspires the music and lyrics to come.What instrument do you start with? Usually with the guitar. On rare occasions I can get a vocal harmony out of the ether but usually guitar. Recently I wrote a whole death metal song, "Ominous", on the drums first then put guitar/bass to it, then wrote the lyrics/melodies! Trip.Do you write the music first, and then add lyrics? Usually music first. But I have written whole songs of lyrics and then matched them up later with music that was appropriate. I always take into consideration the cadence (for gutteral stuff)and the melody (for more melodic metal) and whether it fits the music and whether the mood of the lyrics fits the sound of the song.How do you write your lyrics? I have used metaphor in the style of poetry, fantasy books, or mediaeval times. However, in my solo project, (REQUIEM FOR OBLIVION) I draw inspiration from my true life struggle with drug addiction and depression when I was younger and the experience of my life since conquering those demons. The hell I went through led to experiences which could inspire a wide range of possible topics including, hell on earth, doom, sorrow, hopelessness, death, surrender, divine intervention, release, strength, triumph, prosperity and possibly (could it be?), peace.Where do you find your inspiration? I am inspired by my past like I said but also the failings and triumph of the human spirit, moral decay, war, corruption, bad religion, seeking spiritual truths, etc... Also, current victories and defeats in my own life, (my weaknesses and strengths) are always fair game to being a subject of a song.What are some innovative ways to keep your music interesting, or to avoid writer's block? I listen to a lot of different types of music though death, black metal are my staples. I will at times listen to Jazz, folk metal, alt. rock, college, darkwave, classical, etc... In fact, recently, I saw an amazing band, UNEXPECT, at Peabody's in Cleveland. They were absolutely stunning. I stood there for 40 minutes with my jaw on the ground. They inspired me to be even more 'boundary-less' than I already am with my solo project. I am learning that mindless imitation may get you noticed quickly but real intuitive song writing has effects that span generations and genres. I'm talking about fearless writing without thought to what would sell, or what your girlfriend would like, or what your friends and family would like you to write! Writing what is inside you already and being willing to go wherever that takes you!!! There are many bands that sound somewhat similar or have a similar style but it's the nuances of their individuality that set them each apart. That is what each of us has to tap into.
Steve
myspace.com/REQUIEM FOR OBLIVION

Technorati Profile

No comments: